Monday, May 4, 2009

Do you ever think back...

Do you ever think back and wonder how your life would change if just one tiny bit of fate had changed? Whenever folks ask about my career in the surf industry I can't help but think about just such a crossroad in 1967. I was in high school, and it was time to get a job. My stepfather worked in an office building next door to Woody's Smorgasborg in Redondo and knew the guys. I put in my application and went home to wait for the call. I had been building a board or two in my garage and had bought some matierials from Bing Surfboards in Hermosa Beach. I had even shown him one of my boards on my last trip down to get resin. Well, at the end of the second day Woody hadn't called, but Bing did. I almost lost it when Bing offered me a job making fins.


The point is that had Woody called first I would have said yes, and would not have reneged when Bing called later-that is the way our family is. I would never have gotten into the surf industry. I like to say there has never been a day I have not looked forward to going to work. It is just too much fun being around great people, boards and surf. Although, I do like a good burger.


I have never applied for a job in my life (except Woody's and I think my mom filled out the application for me and took it in). That first Bing job morphed into where I am sitting today, as owner and President of Becker. No one has ever asked if I had a college degree. Pinch me.

share on: facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment